Sunday, May 20, 2007

A thorny problem

I'm completely enamored with the fact that the last source included in the Law Review write-on packet is Poison's "Every Rose has its Thorn." I wonder if the hair band ever imagined they would be nestled in among Locke and Machiavelli or some of the most famous Supreme Court opinions ever written. Somehow I doubt it.

Still, I'm tempted to see the inclusion as both a challenge and a warning. If I was Editor in Chief, those 10 write-on-only spots would go exclusively to people who had managed to include the power ballad in their commentary on the constitutionality of torture or warrantless searches. I mean, hell, that's showing both some balls and some creativity.

On the other hand, I also like to see the song as an analogy to law review membership in general. Sure, that line on your resume would be mighty nice, but do you really want to write the tedious essay? Work the long hours? Cite check till your eyes bleed?

Sing it to me, Bret Michaels, sing it to me.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, May 28, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do it. I skipped out last year and I wished I had done the write-on. I had a good gpa (well within top 10% according to NALP), but at almost every OCI interview, they asked me "are you on law review?" "Why didn't you do the write-on?" I definitely think its one of the reasons why I didn't get an offer from the place I *really* wanted.

Law review is tedium, but the perks are worth it. And also, its somewhat of a signaler...that you care about signaling. Good luck!

 
At 6:02 PM, May 29, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon is right. You should do it.

But remember that you'll get a job anyway if you have good grades, and you are in a position test the TLR editors: cut-and-past copiously from various the works of John Yoo, and see if you get on.

 
At 2:03 AM, May 30, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

now that the write-on is over, i believe i can say without violating the honor code that that was a pretty miserable experience. i spent the whole time gritting my teeth, resisting the urge to type "WHAT. THE. FUCK. MICHELLE. MALKIN." seriously, what were they thinking?

 
At 7:54 AM, May 30, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES! I am so glad someone else thought Malkin's piece was absurd

 
At 10:08 AM, May 30, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So this year's write on packet featured selections from Poison AND Michelle Malkin? TLR is seriously slipping.

 
At 5:10 PM, June 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote about racial profiling (i.e. Malkin) and used "every rose has its thorn in my conclusion" So, who knows. And I quote:

“Every rose has its thorn”. Poison, at 101, col. 1. In the rose of free society that thorn is being forced to find the balance between freedom and security during a time of war.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home