Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Effects of Finals

I don't really have the time/energy/desire to write out a whole interesting post, but I did want to relay a few of the things that I've found humorous so far during finals:

1. While in general, I would say that the female law students at UT are a fashionable, well-groomed bunch of ladies, that certainly goes right out the window during finals. Looking around my Contracts exam, not a single girl was wearing her hair down, and I didn't spy any makeup going on either. Of course, this isn't really to say that the guys are any better. Debauchery has the commentary on the unfortunate sweat pants trend.

2. I kid you not when I say that people had sports-taped their fingers prior to my most recent exam (which included 1.5 hours writing/prep time before we could use our computers) in order to avoid blisters. That's...um...intense.

3. I was going to make a joke about how socially-conscious it is for UT to employ the mentally disabled as proctors, but then I realized it would really be an insult to the mentally disabled to associate them with this special brand of idiots. Hey students services, here's an idea...why don't you have the proctors open Extegrity once on a computer before having them read off instructions they don't understand to others?

4. You know you are a law student dork when: you go to see Hot Fuzz with some friends, including one other law student. When at one point, the cop charges someone with "conspiracy" both you and your classmate, shove their fists in the air and shout "yesss!" because you both know that that was EXACTLY the right thing to charge.

5. There really is a darth of good post-finals drinking spots within walking distance. I mean, Crown & Anchor is great, but beer alone just isn't going to do it for me right after a final. Trudy's is more than happy to take care of the liquor (Mmm, Mexican Martinis..), but the presence of the suit-laden business lunch crowd really kills some of the fun. Cain and Abel's would be a good choice, excepts it's usually filled with undergrad frat boys. I'm thinking perhaps I'll just pack a flask for my last final....

....oh my, it really almost is my last final of my 1L year. Wow.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, May 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that even during finals I spend way too long on my makeup. The other day my t-shirt/stretch-pants-wearing friend asked me why I was so dressed up in my jeans and shirt that had buttons. :P

 
At 5:06 PM, May 08, 2007, Blogger angela said...

#4 happened to me & my friends... although we talked about other torts and/or crimes committed during the film as well.

 
At 7:03 AM, May 10, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first year, I came out of my apartment on the way to my Civ Pro final, and there were three ravens sitting on my car.

Not a good sign.

 
At 3:39 PM, May 10, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(1) is so, so true... it's even worse if you watch law students when they're out studying at coffeeshops... the decline in the last few weeks is almost scary

i'm not sure how i feel about (2). on one hand, that's kind of unnerving. on the other hand, i wish i'd thought of it. and that's even more unnerving.

 
At 4:20 PM, May 15, 2007, Blogger LL said...

My 1L contracts professor always used scotch in his hypotheticals, so on exam day a bunch of people brought scotch and drank it out of plastic cups during the exam.

Incidentally a lot of them showed up on law review 2L year...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home