Monday, July 02, 2007

Summer Update #2

So, I've now finished with my first half clerkship, and I can't really complain. I'm still not exactly sure if firm life is for me, but the pay and the perks are sure nothing to complain about.

To date: 56 free drinks, 39 free meals, a free vacation, a few free ball games in the firm box suite, and a lovely free Westlaw leather portfolio.

Clerkship #2 started today, and the different vibe is palpable. Whereas firm #1 had us writing, writing, writing all the time, firm #2 seems to be more about practical experience. I'm assisting at a deposition later this week, at trial in a few weeks, and they have no issue with assigning me the task of writing the pleadings and motions and briefs that go to court.

What has suprised me most is the noticeable difference between law students from different schools. Fellow clerks from Texas are chill. They get their work done, go to all the social events, and search for a firm that offers a good work-life balance. Clerks from Georgetown, Yale, or NYU? They freak out about EVERYTHING. "Is my memo too short? What if I didn't find a critical case? What the hell is up with the greenbook?" Clerks from Baylor and SMU have a bit of an inferiority complex. Needless to say, I'm very happy to be a Texas clerk, clerking in Texas.

Summer has also brought the wave of the new 1L class, who have been gracious enough to join us 2Ls at some recent happy hours. A tidbit I overheard at this week's happy hour:
"So, do you have any advice?"
"Yeah. Go to class. Don't freak out too much. And whatever you do, absolutely DO NOT throw theme parties."


Welcome aboard new 1Ls. If any of you are blogging, drop me a link, I'm gonna update my blawgroll soon.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, July 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um...what people from Yale, NYU, etc. do you know? GULC students are kind of lame, but the others don't seem to worry about much of anything, especially not the people from Yale. They know all too well that it really doesn't matter if one firm doesn't like them much because there are many others that would be happy to hire them. Plus, most of them get solid clerkships after law school, and they might well have post-clerkship plans that don't involve their 2L firm.

 
At 3:48 PM, September 23, 2009, Anonymous geektastik said...

Hi, if you still have that leather portfolio, please email me at geektastik[at]gmail[dot]com, as I would like to buy it. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home