Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I'm already annoyed...

...at this gunner-in-training. When someone asked if anyone had gotten their books from the co-op yet, he responded:

"You mean you've not read the introductory sections of each of your books yet, as well as memorized the first 5 cases? Uh oh.

I'm glad I went in and got mine, as being able to actually start reading in some of my casebooks is a nice relief. It has helped prevent me from imagining that the courses are going to be some impossibly difficult thing. Unfortunately, it has also confirmed to me that I won't be able to just read through the required reading once and be done with it."

Then, when everyone professed their hatred for him, he responded with this:

"The only restraint I've been exercising about reading the books is that I don't want to read too far in and get stuck with a lot of misconceptions on the material."

Earlier this month, in regards to someone mentioning the socratic method, he said this:

"I don't mind the Socratic Method at all. I'd love to get called on in class every day. Of course, I like to hear myself talk. I will dread when the teacher calls on the dumb student who didn't read the material the night before and also has a stuttering problem. I hope to never sound remotely close to that type of student. I also hope we don't have any in the class."

I've more or less liked everyone in the law school class that I've met so far. But I think this guy is gonna make me want to commit an intentional tort, and I don't mean trespass. And yes, he's in my section.

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, August 16, 2006, Blogger Butterflyfish said...

Wow. I'd ask if you're exaggerating but I doubt you are.

 
At 10:46 AM, August 16, 2006, Blogger The Lioness said...

Exaggerating? Those were direct quotes. I copy/pasted them.

 
At 11:01 AM, August 16, 2006, Blogger The Namby Pamby said...

i'd say slip the gunner a rufee, 'borrow' his books, 'redress' him in a manner fitting of his persona (tar+feather), and 'relocate' him to a fine patch of 'out in the middle of nowhere'

 
At 12:32 PM, August 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sooo glad I'm not in your section then. Even if you did get the classes I wanted. Let's hope some prof puts him in his place.

 
At 3:55 PM, August 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad I'm not the only one who's found this to be frustrating. Class is going to be... interesting.

 
At 4:38 PM, August 16, 2006, Blogger the littlest tortfeasor said...

Wow. I just hope there aren't any chaches like that in my section.

 
At 5:24 AM, August 17, 2006, Blogger Ex.Coll. said...

Sounds like a grade-a douche bag to me.

Just wait until he is called on and the professor dismisses his answer of just smacks him down. It will make all his previous boasting worth it.

 
At 11:31 PM, August 17, 2006, Blogger Hawk McGee said...

Most would-be gunners don't last past their first time on the spot. More get quiet when they sense the mood of the room when they speak. And then there are the ones who cease to speak after the Fall grades are released. Chances are this turd is one of the above.

 
At 3:43 PM, August 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've changed my schedule to avoid one gunner who has persisted. Last fall one prof pretty much asked him to shut up, and it made my week. No one likes a gunner.

 
At 6:09 PM, August 19, 2006, Blogger Calculating Bitch said...

Hey now, gunners can be useful -- especially when it comes to BINGO. They are so predictable and dependable (especially first semester) that it was like having four free spaces on the board already!

 
At 4:08 PM, August 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's one in every section. In ours last year, there was a guy who literally talked in every single class period, and contributed absolutely nothing but hot air. Eventually, everyone in the room would start coughing, sighing loudly, shuffling papers, and getting up to go to the restroom every time he started talking. It was honestly the funniest, most uncomfortable spectacle I'd seen in a long time.

He also just transferred schools.

Moral of the story? If you and your classmates will unite to loudly hate the gunner, he will shut up and get the fuck out of our school. :)

 
At 9:37 AM, August 22, 2006, Blogger CM said...

You never know. I mean, yeah, he sounds like a jerk, but by second semester we all laughed affectionately when Resident Gunner mentioned he had done the first month's worth of reading and said "Typical [Gunner]," but everyone liked him anyway. (Then again, he didn't constantly go around describing his love for the Socratic method and how prepared he was to make everyone feel bad.)

 
At 10:38 PM, August 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are overreacting, I think it's meant to be a joke. I thought it was sarcastically written.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home