Saturday, August 05, 2006

Spring Cleaning

Ok, so I know it's a little late for spring cleaning, but hey, I like to procrastinate, and besides, I'm talking about clearing out my head, not my closet. I've got lots of thoughts/musings/questions floating around up there, so I figure I'll just write a long blog and throw it all out there. I mean, I got 11 comments on that last post, so I know you people are out there. Answer my questions and help a 0L out.


Who do ya Gotta Sleep With Around Here to Get an Outline?
So, wise 2L's and 3L's that read my blog, now that I've got my schedule, how do I go about getting outlines from upperclassmen? Is there an etiquette to this practice? How do you know who had the same professors the year before? And, as I know it's generally not a good idea to ask someone what their grade in a class was flat out, how do you know you are getting an outline from someone that isn't a moron? Do you just only ask people on Law Review or something?

Lock me up
I reserved my locker in the law school the other day. I got a combination lock, because I have this tendency to lose things, like keys. I fail to understand why they possibly need to cost $45, but I am pleased with the possibility of taping a New Kids on the Block or Saved by the Bell poster on the inside. Also, when I was in high school, the cheerleaders (yes, I was a cheerleader...) would decorate the football player's lockers before games. Do they do that here for moot court competitons or anything? Cause I really think they should. Gooooooooo oral advocacy!

Drunkest Section Ever!
In a somewhat comical twist, they put me and the other 0L "social chair" responsible for planning all the summer happy hours in the same section and group. I think our plot will be to plan unmissable social events for the rest of our section, then stay home and study on our own in a twisted effort to beat the curve.

Hornbooks and Outlines and Briefs, oh my!
So I'm toying with the idea of ordering the examples and explinations series and the Gilbert's outlines for my classes. Good idea, bad idea, or indifferent? And what about LEEWS?

I suppose that's all for now. We have another happy hour tonight, so more deatils to follow on that.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, August 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off, have you checked out: http://www.ihatelawschool.com/new/preview.php

You will find that what you need to know to succeed is largely instructor-specific. The best way to find out which 2L's and 3L's have taken your profs is to talk to them. What are the classes/profs? And the quality of outline and grade don't necessarily correlate so don't get hung up on it.

Hornbooks - too deep to be generally useful, but they may clarify something you're struggling with.

Outlines - generally suck, at least for understanding the course as the prof wants you to.

Briefs - not bad for knowing what you're talking about that day if you haven't done the reading or to guide your reading if you don't know what to read for yet.

E&E - can be handy, but to do them routinely you need a lot more time than many people find they have in law school. Might suggest to use them like hornbooks.

Other - Nutshells are too concise to be of great value in most cases, but can give you a good flyover before you start the class.

LEEWS - don't know. If it tells you how the entire term is nothing but a prelude to a four-hour test and tells you how to work with that in mind, then it's worth something. You might get off cheaper looking at your prof's old exams and the available model answers.

 
At 2:58 PM, August 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it is smart to do LEEWS asap--it helps to spend the whole semester thinking about how you will answer on the final exam.

 
At 3:07 PM, August 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you should get other people's outlines. You gotta do your own first year. Despite what many say, I really think it is important to start outlining as soon as you complete a section in a course (e.g., right after intentional torts are done). Even if you scrap it eventually, I had a lot of success by starting outlines early in the semester

 
At 4:22 PM, August 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, there, kiddos. To anonymous family member of mine leaving embarassing personal anecdotes about when I was 12 years old--um, please don't. To Thorsten, please don't get in a comment war with my anonymous family member. I've deleted your comments (both of you), so let's move on to a new topic: a peanut is neither a pea nor a nut. Go.

 
At 11:32 AM, August 13, 2006, Blogger Cella Bella said...

Yes to the E&Es. I had one for every single 1L class and loved them. Emmanuels outlines, etc, are only good the week before your final when you realized "Oh crap, I have NO idea what the International Shoe case is about."

LEEWS is a complete waste of time. Unless you've never written an essay in your life. Let me sum it up for you so you can save your money. 1) identify the issues. 2) write about the issues 3) give more money to LEEWS so they can continue their fear-mongering.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home