Friday, December 01, 2006

Just like a cheap hooker...

I hate Lexis. I really do. I’ll also take any excuse not to focus on finals, and hating them is more fun than finishing my outlines.

Why do I hate them? Well…

I’m sitting here, studying, when I realize that the only thing that could make my study experience complete would be to hear Want You to Want Me by Cheap Trick. And I wanted to hear it that very second. I used to have the mp3, but it was lost somewhere in the great hard drive crash of 2005. So, being the legal and ethical person I am, I headed over to Itunes.

At which point I thought, “Wait! I know! I have enough Lexis points to get 10 free Itunes songs! I’ll just do that!”

So I headed over to the Lexis webpage, and searched rather unsuccessfully for the damn Ultimate Rewards banner for a while. Apparently, it’s only on the screen if you login from lexisnexis.com/lawschool, but not just lexis.com, as I tend to use. Not finding it, I did a google search. Still not finding it, I went through my deleted messages to find an old e-mail from Eric Knustrom until I finally got onto the right web page.

Once on the damn site, I went to my account history and realized that Westlaw points are FAR superior in every way to Lexis points. I’m gonna hold out till my 3L year and get that damn Wine Refrigerator thing from Westlaw, but with the puny points allotted by Lexis, I’ll take whatever I can get, whenever I can get it. It’s like Westlaw is my true love, and Lexis is my cheap hooker on the side.

Anyways, I had exactly 750 Lexis points. Which is exactly how many I needed to get my 10 free itunes songs. So I ordered it. And I got the code. But when I tried to enter the code, and every subsequent time I’ve tried after that, it tells me that “the music store network connection has timed out.” I blame this entirely on Lexis, regardless of whether it’s truly their fault or not. So now I sit here, point-less, music-less, and having wasted nearly an hour between trying to get the song and having written up this blog. Ahh, finals season….just one more reason to hate Lexis.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, December 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always preferred Westlaw to Lexis Nexus because the Westlaw on campus rep isn't a totally creepy A.D.D. "Old School" extra.

 
At 7:59 PM, December 01, 2006, Blogger Lily Graypure said...

Ahhh, cheap hookers. I'm all sad cus I realized that not only am i way behind on reading and outlining and stuff, I'm also way behind on westlaw and lexis points. :(

 
At 11:32 PM, December 01, 2006, Blogger The Fox said...

I'm a Lexis-hater as well. I have exactly 100 points, the same 100 points I got from signing up. Westlaw points are far superior and the whole navigation process is much simpler. I still don't get the whole Shepherd thing.

 
At 9:15 AM, December 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, i can't even imagine how someone would feel this way. YOU CAN GET ANYTHING FROM AMAZON WITH WESTLAW POINTS! which are just as easy to get, as i have 25,000 and just used only a third of mine to get a nice cuisinart food processor. you have like 12 options for what to get with your westlaw points. and once i got a vacuum cleaner, i wasn't left with many options. i'm going to let people say it's the better search engine, but i'm totally baffled by saying that it's got the better rewards. that's just crazy talk!

 
At 7:37 PM, December 04, 2006, Blogger Ex.Coll. said...

I prefer Lexis over Westlaw, and not just because I’m still bitter over the breakfast fiasco. I think the Lexis interface is more user friendly and I find it easier to find helpful sources. Whenever researching something through Westlaw, it usually takes me twice as long as it would in Lexis. Also, Westlaw does not give access to the same kind of databases as Lexis. As for the points, Last year, Lexis gave out a lot more points than Westlaw, but from what I’ve seen, this year they’ve both been very tight. Also, I’ve noticed that Lexis has a better variety of stuff and usually for less points, but it seems that they are have gone up, but the Lexis still has the better selection.

 
At 4:26 PM, December 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the comments would be about cheap hookers...

 
At 7:31 AM, December 08, 2006, Blogger T said...

Truly, Westlaw is superior to Lexis, in all ways imaginable.

 
At 3:17 AM, December 20, 2006, Blogger Annonymous said...

Glad to hear I'm a "totally creepy A.D.D. 'Old School' extra. " But then again why would I really care what someone who can't even spell says about me. Of course I guess I'd take that as a compliment from the pedantic pathetic poser who would post such a hateful thing about someone who has never done anything but offer help to them and not have the fortitude to sign their name.

As for the iTunes problem, obviously not anything I can control as the Lexis rep, but hell if you had e-mailed me I would have even called iTunes customer support to try and help you out. Or given you points to replace them

But what the hell, good luck with your legal careers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home